Fernando Alonso has been cleared to race for Honda-McLaren at the 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix this weekend. Alonso had to pass a series of tests this week to make himself medically eligible to participate in the race after crashing into the wall during the final testing session in Barcelona earlier this month. That crash caused a concussion that subsequently, reportedly, caused a temporary loss of memory for Alonso which kept him out of the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne – the season-opening Formula One race – and sent his brain back to the 1990s where he had no recollection of his current Formula One career. But slowly, reportedly, his memory returned in the ensuing weeks since the crash, which he says was not caused by a speculated blackout episode but rather by a steering issue.
Alonso, however, says those reports about memory loss from the concussion were wrong and it was merely the concerns surrounding the concussion that kept him out of the Australian Grand Prix.
The 2015 Formula One season continues with the Malaysian Grand Prix in Kuala Lumpur on March 29, 2015.